Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Reverend and the Pastor's Wife


As of around 4:00 p.m. on Sunday, June 17th, I, Troy, was ordained into the ministry of the Word and Sacrament in the Presbyterian Church U.S.A. The service was at our home congregation, Hopewell Presbyterian Church, and it was a wonderful way to transition from student to pastor. Generally, I don't get caught up the moment, but this service was one that I will remember throughout the rest of my life. I can only now pray that, with God's help, I live into the vows I took.

The running joke in the HB house is that I have become "The Reverend" (or "T-Rev" as some have called me). This will take some getting used to. What is even stranger is that Jess' is now, for better or for worse, "The Pastor's Wife." (Enter ominous sounding music here). Both roles will take some getting used, although given our proclivities towards being unorthodox in our roles, I somehow doubt we'll just be the way everyone expects us to be. Soon enough, we pray, Jess too will be "The Reverend," while I can be "The Pastor's Husband."

For the time being, we're just glad to be who we are, to be where we've been, and to headed where we're going. Thanks for your prayers in all of our transitions.

6 comments:

Blasco said...

Congratulations to you, Troy, on this rather momentous transition; and to both of you for the completion of another leg of your journey together. You are all in my prayers as you move and begin something new.

And I wish so badly that I was there to rib Jess about being "the pastor's wife!" Once we're back eastward this fall, we'll have to try to make it south and visit you all in your new digs.

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Troy - you guys have both been working very hard, I'm sure, to get to this point and have a happy family.

With your new-found powers, you should try going around blessing things and seeing what happens.

Andrew said...

Jess:

Maybe there are fewer expectations of me, being a pastor's husband, and more of an aura of mystique because people don't know what to expect of such a strange creature, but I am finding that the role really doesn't live up to the vaguely ominous feeling you get when you hear about it. In other words, I do have a private life, and it hasn't been resented, nor have I had to guard it tooth and nail! May your situation be similar.

To both of you: heartfelt congratulations, as well as amazement on where life has taken you! (And us--who'd have seen this coming back in the spring of '99, two clergy couples!) I've been meaning to connect with you; in the interim, may these good wishes suffice.

Mel said...

Congrats to both of you! I was at Michael Mudgett's ordination service here at Point Loma and got a sense for how you Presby's do it. I'm glad I went as it now provides a sense of community in your moment of consecration Troy and Jess. I look forward to seeing the fruit of your ministry together. Jess, I had to chuckle at the thought of you wrestling with the idea of being the pastor's wife. I know you'll be a groundbreaking one!

Andrew said...

hello HBs! Welcome to the world of ministry, and especially to this thing called being ordained. The four of you be wrapped in the love and peace of God every moment of every day.

It's a small world after all: I met Olivia Stewart who just loves you. I didn't know that Dutch Bingo worked with PTS, too. :)

The little miss beckons... .

love from your colleague in ministry and a Reverend mommy,
Pamela

Unknown said...

Congratulations Troy! And just think, you were not even sure that seminary was in your future a few short years ago. I thought that your preview trip to the D-Bar would convince you to enter the ministry. ;)