Sunday, June 15, 2008

Arachno-Files (Again)


So, I'm here in Georgia while the rest of my family is enjoying city life in Chicago for the next couple of weeks. I've had a bit more time on my hands with them out of town. (Truly it has been amazing to see how much energy caring for two children takes up!)

Anyway, I found another very interesting spider (actually two of them) in our garden. It's another harmless, large spider, but it spins an incredible web. It "writes" on the web, making something called a stabilimentum, which you can see in the picture above. I've found a fun web site called What's That Bug?, so I'm trying to become an amateur spider spotter in my newfound free time. I'm sure it'll be a short-lived hobby.

So, enjoy our crazy spiders. I hope you'll hear something about the family soon, but that will have to come from the Chicago bureau.

1 comment:

Mel said...

This picture is an amazing example of the word incongruous: BEAUTIFUL and horrific in the same moment.