Saturday, September 15, 2007

Snakes

One of the things about coastal Georgia that I could do without are the snakes and spiders. Just this past week, the Brunswick News ran an article about how the venomous snakes in the area get very active at this time of year, since they're breeding. This wouldn't be a problem, except that there are SIX types including copperheads, coral snakes, timber rattlesnakes, eastern diamondback rattlesnakes, pigmy rattlesnakes, and cottonmouths. What is worse, Little St. Simons Island, just to our north, has more rattlesnakes per acre than anywhere else in the U.S. I don't think I'll be going there any time soon. The paper recommended wearing chaps or long boots if you're going to be anywhere near tall grass, but I had one question when I read that: Who owns chaps and actually wears them in Georgia?

For the second time, I have now seen a snake in our backyard. The first was easily three feet long and green. I can't find a picture of this snake anywhere. Must be undocumented. Anyway, today, I came across this snake:


Now, I realize that this is merely a garter snake, and he can't do any damage to me. It's just a little freaky every time I tend to my yard, I get a reptile or arachnid adventure. Ministry won't kill me, but the snakes just might. Welcome to paradise.

No comments: