Monday, September 3, 2007

Troy the Destroyer

One of the added bonuses of living in the South is the vast array of bugs that can destroy your home. Just this past week we had Terminix install bait stations to protect our home against termites. The previous owner of our house didn't do so, but our house was termite-free when we purchased it. We weren't willing to take that risk, so while our wallets are now lighter, we assume we can rest easier at night.

But it was at night - last night to be exact - that we saw a nasty carpenter ant had made its way into our bedroom. I had just started to fall asleep, when Jess started screaming, "Ewww...ewww...ewww!" She proceeded to kill the ant and discover all sorts of tiny ants crawling around the baseboards.

This morning I headed over to ACE Hardware, and got to know my pesticides. As of lunchtime today, I have sprayed our entire home with pesticide meant to protect against ants, roaches, etc. as well as to ward off the little nasties that kill the grass. (You wouldn't believe the wildlife that hides out in our grass. I saw a spider that was at least an inch and a half long, grasshoppers, lizards, and more.) I also brought home some extra-strength carpenter ant killer. I used the entire bottle, but your should have seen those suckers writhe in pain. Not in my house, ants!

I hope the message spreads to all insects, Troy the Destroyer now lives here. You've been warned.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Too funny, I hate bugs too, but andrew "rescues them." I say, if they're in my space, they deserve to die.

Andrea said...

Too funny, I hate bugs too, but andrew "rescues them." I say, if they're in my space, they deserve to die.

jlee said...

A
N
TS

I thought htat we were the only ones plagued by them but now we have company...

We are having the exterminator come here on Wednesday to go to town in and around our house. The guy from PTS was unstoppable and I would seriously fly that guy out here to Seattle if I could!

I guess that your quote about "not in my house" applies to the ants and not to the S E A T T L E Mariners who took game 1 from your 'dominant' Yankees yesterday... :)

Didi said...

I remember living in Charleston when I was a kid and the Terminix man sprayed my blanket...very traumatizing for a little kid! ;)

Jess, I see you cloth diaper. That is awesome! I am switching Juliana over. We need to talk "fluff"!! I just knit my first pair of wool longies...and am making my own wipes. Officially obsessed. :)