Sunday, November 11, 2007

Kirkin' O' The Tartans

Our church held its annual Kirkin' O' The Tartans (Blessing of the families) service this morning. I had the privilege of preaching at this service, and I somehow managed to preach about Monty Python and the Holy Grail, John Knox, and the Sadducees all in one sermon. If I learned nothing else, I now know that many in my church love Monty Python. They seem to be really happy with my preaching, so I hope that I can keep growing as a preacher in such a congenial place.

We wanted to post some pictures of the family at the service for your enjoyment. For those who have taken the PC(USA) ordination exams, you can enjoy critiquing the placement of the church decorations in the sanctuary. As for me, while I may not be thrilled with the implications of having such a "Scottish" service, it was interesting to meet so many new people who came to church just for that service. In the end, I guess that I'm more open to getting new people into church than I am about pulling off a perfectly Reformed service. So sue me.

One more note of interest, my second cousin from Erie happened to be on this island, so there were at least three people with the middle name "Kirkland" at our church today. That was fun for me.




Shhhhhh....don't show this one to Dr. Kay, Dr. Brown, or The Rev. Bill Heming ;-)

2 comments:

Susan said...

thanks for sharing. I'm smiling as I reflect on our worship discussions. This brings a whole new level to the question what tartan would Jesus wear?

Unknown said...

I think the REAL question is what would Jesus wear UNDER there...

I doubt Mr. Heming would be very concerned about the tartans, not after 6 months in Oregon...