Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Southern Names: Our Minds are Blown

So, we realized that the move from Jersey to Georgia would take some getting used to. There are just some basic, major differences in culture that we would have never known without moving here. Well, tonight, we experienced a brand new one.

We had thought it strange that when I introduced myself as "Troy," many responded, "Oh, Trey, it's nice to meet you." I just figured that my northern accent just made my "o" sound like an "eh." It turns out that there are a lot of people named Trey around here. There are also people named Tripp and Dru.

Well, what we found out tonight was that Trey, Tripp, and Dru are not names at all. Rather, if your dad was John Smith Jr. and if you were named John Smith III, people will call you Trey or Tripp (short for Triple). If you're John Smith IV, then you get to be Dru, as in quaDRUple. I think being John Smith V would be pretty cool because you could then be Quint. (And I sure don't want to try to guess what you'd call John Smith VI.)

It's a pretty interesting system of names, I must admit, although it makes me wonder how many peoples' nicknames I know without having a clue that their real first name is something like Cletus Pepper III. I guess that knowledge will come with time.

2 comments:

Kristina Zirschky said...

That cracks me up! Very interesting.

Laurie M. Lee said...

Oh, the South is another land...I'm not how Jeff would take living there. He might think they are all off their rockers. :-)